One of the most-loved appetizers served during “Social drinking sessions” is Pork Sisig. It is a Pampanga’s pride that uses pig’s head parts and other ingredients. Variations of this dish are developed over time. Though this is commonly known as a “pulutan”, some even prefer to pair it with rice as their main course during meal time.
In this article “How to cook Pork Sisig- Recipe for Beginners,” I would be able to share to you my way of cooking this specialty.
1/2 kg pig’s head parts (snout, ears, face and cheeks)
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/4 kg chicken liver
1 medium- sized onion, finely chopped
2 cups pineapple or lemon juice
1 tbsp pepper corns
2 pcs small red chilli peppers, chopped
5 cups water
2 pcs calamansi fruits, cut into halves
2 tbsp pork chicharon ground crumbs
salt and ground pepper to taste
- Pre-wash pig’s head parts and chicken liver.
- In a large pan, combine pig’s head parts and pepper corns.
- Pour-in 2 cups of pineapple/ lemon juice and 5 cups of water.
- Boil for about 30-45 minutes or until tender.
- When parts are already tender, remove from the water and grill, together with the chicken liver.
- Finely chop the grilled parts and chicken liver into cubes.
- In a separate pan, sauté garlic and onions. Add-in the grilled pig’s parts and chicken liver and stir-fry quickly.
- Season with salt and pepper. Adjust according to your taste.
- Finally, transfer into a sizzling platter (or just an ordinary plate) and garnish with chopped chilli peppers and pork chicharon ground crumbs on top. Place sliced calamansi fruits on the side.
- Share and enjoy!